Do you have a dental blog?
If you're a new dentist or you work for one, and you're reading this post, please take the time to thoroughly go over the information here as it will help you to understand the why and how of starting and maintaining a dental blog.
As you can see from the table below, published by Gallup, 61% of people surveyed have a very high or high trust in dentists.
And 39% of people surveyed view dentists as average to low or very low on the trust index.
There's a lot of room for improvement, and one of the most cost effective ways new dentists can build a high trust factor with potential new clients is with a dental blog.
FACT: only 13% of all dentists have their own dental blog.
You might be thinking, "why do I need a dental blog? It's just one more thing that I don't have the time for and frankly, I don't have a clue how to even start a dental blog, let alone keep it updated."
In this post, I'm going to show you why you need a dental blog, especially if you're a new dentist, and how to start one and keep it updated.
And, if you need help, I'd be pleased to work with you. You only need to email me at:
firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll schedule a call to look at how a dental blog will benefit you and your dental practice.
Let’s dive into why every dentist should have their own blog.
Why You Should Have Your Own Dental Blog
You should have your own dental blog to:
- help you build trust with your patients.
- showcase your skills and expertise.
- show new patients what they can expect from you.
- help you grow your new private practice faster.
If you’re reading this, you may have been brought up in an era where dentists have a reputation for being stuffy, old-fashioned, and boring.
But this isn’t the 1980s any more.
This is the age of the internet, and you are a professional. It’s time to throw away the stigmas and show the world that you are a dentist for the modern age.
For many of your potential patients, the internet is their first port of call for anything and everything dental. This can range from researching different treatments, costs, and even what the different procedures entail.
Having your own dental blog is the perfect way to clear up any misinformation about dentists that are being posted online.
A Dental Blog Will Help You Build Trust With Your Potential Patients
Dentists are in the business of helping people, but before someone is going to let you help them with their dental problems, you need to build trust with them, and a dental blog is one of the best ways to do that.
On your dental blog you can showcase the variety of treatments you offer, your fees, and even include an online scheduling tool so people can use your own website to book appointments.
And one of the most effective ways to build trust between you and your patients is by answering frequently asked questions that people ask about dentists and dental procedures.
Showcase Your Skills & Expertise On Your Dental Blog
With a blog, you can showcase your skills and expertise so your patients and potential patients are confident entrusting their dental care to you and your team.
Use your dental blog to write about common dental topics, such as:
- teeth cleaning.
- cavity treatments.
- dental implants.
- teeth whitening.
- oral hygiene.
- avoiding gum disease.
When your potential patients read up on topics like these they'll see skills and expertise and know that you are a qualified and experienced dentist.
A Dental Blog Is A Powerful Marketing Tool For New Dentists
If you are a new dentist you're going to want to grow your practice and make it profitable as quickly as you can because, as you well know, most new dentists have a lot of dental school debt to repay.
Average Dental School Debt - Updated October 11, 2021
Since the average dental school graduate is carrying so much debt - $292, 169 dollars - the faster you can grow your patient base the sooner you're going to be able to pay off your dental school debts and be free.
And this is where a dental blog comes in because a dental blog is a powerful marketing tool for new dentists.
When your dental marketing blog shows up at the top search results, it's going drive a ton of organic traffic to your blog and website, and that's where your patients and potential new patients can have all their questions about you, your team, your practice, and dental care answered.
A dental blog also allows you to be completely open and authentic with patients and potential new patients. Blogging is a great way to let your personality show as well as sharing your experiences and patient testimonials.
35 Dental Blog Topics To Write About
Remember, a dental blog is a powerful tool for marketing your new dental practice, answering patient's questions, and building trust with them.
Here are 35 topics you can write about on your dental blog.
- How can I overcome my fear of the dentist?
- How often should I get my teeth cleaned?
- How much does a dental exam cost and how often should I have one?
- Why do I need my teeth X-rayed?
- How often should I brush my teeth?
- Why do my gums hurt when I brush my teeth?
- How can I get my kids to brush their teeth?
- What are the most important things I need to know about my dentures?
- How does a dentist perform a root canal?
- Is a root canal procedure painful?
- How long does it take to recover from a root canal?
- What options do I have for replacing a missing tooth?
- Which foods should I avoid to protect my teeth and gums?
- Do I need to brush my tongue?
- What can I do to keep my gums healthy?
- How to save a knocked out tooth.
- What do parents need to know about baby teeth?
- How to take care of your toothbrush and how often it should be replaced.
- What can I do about bad breath?
- What teeth-whitening options are available and how effective are they?
- Can I still get braces as an adult?
- How long does it take to straighten teeth with braces?
- What is the proper way to brush my teeth?
- Why should I floss?
- Why should I wear a mouthguard when playing contact sports?
- Do I need to use mouthwash if I brush regularly?
- Why shouldn't I skip my dental exams?
- What should I do to help my kids have healthy teeth and gums?
- How does smoking or chewing tobacco affect my oral health?
- How drinking more water protects your teeth.
- Does oral health affect mental health? How?
- What is dental plaque and how can I avoid it or get rid of it?
- What is a dental crown and what are its benefits?
- What is cosmetic dentistry? Can cosmetic dentistry help with my oral health?
- What is laser dentistry and how do I know if I need it?
You might think that many of these topics are pretty basic to write about, but remember that most new dentists do not have a dental blog and are paying to have their websites show up in search results.
You can get your website at the top of search results by means of your dental marketing blog. So, it's time to start now.
Here's an example of a great dental blog being used for education and marketing by Greenwoods Dental. Be sure to check their dental blog out to get some great ideas of how you can use blogging to market your dental practice.
A dental blog is a great way to:
- showcase what you do and help potential patients get to know you and your team.
- share your knowledge and expertise with your patients and show them what your practice is all about.
- grow your private practice faster in a cost-effective way.
- drive traffic to your website and business.
- build trust between your patients and you, your team, and practice.
- show new patients what they can expect from you.
- answer all the questions patients and potential new patients have about dentistry, oral health, and hygiene.
What have you got to add to this discussion? Please drop your thoughts and comments below.
Do you want help to get your dental blog started?
If so, email me at: email@example.com and I'll be happy to schedule a Zoom call or a face-to-face meeting if you're based in Winnipeg to explore working together to get your dental blog up and working for you.