5 Key Reasons Why You Need To Ignite Your List Building
The money’s in the list!
Before I get to the 5 key reasons why you need to ignite your list building, please consider the following.
I know you’ve heard Internet Marketing experts say this, and they’re 100 percent right. If you’re going to turn your blog or website into a freelance freedom generating tool, then you have absolutely got to have a list of subscribers.
What if you don’t want to use your blog for business? Why would you want to have an email list of subscribers under those circumstances?
The answer is very simple. An email list allows you to regularly engage with your readers.
A very brief history of list building
The use of lists to engage with, market to, and sell customers products and services goes back a long way.
Before the Internet became so popular, most companies had lists of names, telephone numbers and addresses which were used to keep in contact with customers and potential customers.
As an example, The Orvis Company is the oldest mail-order outfitter in the U.S. Way, way back near the end of the 19th century the company was mailing it’s catalogues out to its list of devoted and loyal customers.
In Canada, the Eaton’s mail-order catalogue was published from 1884 to 1976. Interestingly, Eaton's actively sought out new subscribers, particularly in rural areas, by employing such tactics as offering gifts for the contact information of non-subscribers.
Sound familiar? You bet it does!
This is exactly one of the tactics that modern Internet marketers use all of the time. Offer something of value that is FREE in turn for the email address of the interested party.
Yep, list building is certainly nothing new. But with the advent of the Internet, and the ability it provides anyone to build a business as a freelancer, mailing lists have also evolved into a great marketing tool to turn subscribers into loyal customers.
Just think about the magnitude of the following statistics:
"The number of worldwide email accounts is expected to increase from an installed base of 3.1 billion in 2011 to nearly 4.1 billion by year-end 2015. This represents an average annual growth rate of 7% over the next four years." (source)
That number should help you appreciate why, if you’re going to succeed online as a blogger and business owner, it’s imperative for you to begin building your email list. In fact, it’s something you should have started working on yesterday.
So here are....
5 key reasons why you need to ignite your list building
- You own your list of subscribers. Think of your list as a very valuable piece of real estate that no one can take from you. Of course, people can unsubscribe from your list, but otherwise the list is yours.
- Your list is useful for keeping fans and followers updated on what you've been doing; you may even want to put together a newsletter that you email to them regularly with information that is of real value to them - all for free.
- As you become more familiar with your followers and the kinds of problems or challenges they're facing or the dreams, desires, and goals they want to achieve, you can send out targeted emails to them that help them to solve their problems, overcome their challenges, and move them toward achieving their dreams, desires, and goals.
- As you use your list to engage with your subscribers in this way, you'll become a person of great value to them and they'll actually look forward to receiving your emails.
- List building is as important to online marketers, bloggers, and content creators, as flyers, TV, and radio ads have been to traditional brick and mortar businesses. Using email reminds your audience of your high-value products and services so they don't miss out on what it is you're offering that they can benefit from.
So, how about you? How are your list building efforts going? Do you have any other reasons for building a list that we can add to this list of 5? If you do, then please share it in the comments section below. And thanks for reading. You're awesome!